Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The "THREE T's", in being a stay at home MOM.

Before I get into my topic for today, I wanted to share with you some quotes that I absolutely love about the benefits of choosing to be a stay at home mother for a vocation.

     "All I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother."    Abraham Lincoln

     "Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried   jobs, since the payment is pure love."  Mildred B. Vermont

     "The hand that rocks the cradle --is the hand that rules  the world."  William Ross Wallace

     "Sometimes the poorest Mother leaves her children the richest inheritance."  Ruth E. Renkel

I have a story to think about, when considering choosing to be a stay at home Mom, or seeking employment outside the home. Recently, I had a conversation with a woman who I really like and admire. She is knowledgable and very well spoken.  She has worked outside her home, her entire married life.  She asked me recently, about the qualifications that I now have, to go get a job.  She assumed that since my children were grown and moved away, and thatI had only been a stay at home mom all during those years, the next step in my life  would be to go out and get "Gainful employment". She also asked me if I had gone to college or had considered going back. 

It was interesting for me to listen to the views of someone who had worked outside the home all her life.  It was also very clear to me, that she doesn't know me very well, because I have developed so many marketable skills and talents as a stay at home Mother, that I could get any number of jobs, if I chose to do so.  That was the point... If I chose to do so!

Our conversation turned to why she did not stay at home and mother her own children, and she told me that she would have liked to stay at home too, but she couldn't because her husband didn't make enough money to support their family.  She then told me what her husbands vocation was, and I soon realized that it wasn't about the income that her husband earned, but it was about all the THINGS that she felt she would miss out on having if she didn't work. I knew that what her husband did for a living would provide for his family, though not a lot of frills, as my cousin had that very same vocation and did just fine.  She admitted that she enjoyed having an official TITLE, and that she had worked long and hard to achieve. The two "T's"-- "TITLE and THINGS"... I thought about what she said and decided to keep quiet.

When I weigh having a TITLE and THINGS, against having the God given privlege and responsibility to raise my children, there is no debate, I pick my children. TITLES and THINGS come and go, and over time change or get broken, replaced, and tossed.  The thrid "T" which is TIME, is what matters the most to children.  It won't be the lovely room furnishings, or the fancy clothing that a child will remember when he is grown, but he will remember the TIME that his parents spent with him.

There are situations where it isn't about having beautiful things to adorn your home to make it pretty, but it is more about having enough money to pay the rent and utilities, have food for the family and gas in the car.  Sometimes having enough just to make ends meet, is what is on the minds of many parents.  If this is of concern for you, then there are lots of jobs that a mom can do from home, to help sustain their family while still being there for your children. Here is a list of suggestions, that I have compiled, that might help. (Be sure to click on each link for further help on each particular interest or subject)
  1. Make cute crafts, clothing, decorations, etc., while at home, and sell them on Etsy.
  2. Make cute home made items, and sell them at seasonal craft fairs or boutiques.
  3. Create a gift basket business, and assemble baskets at home to deliver when your husband come home from work to tend the kids.
  4. Do alterations and sewing for others.
  5. Teach lessons... Dance, music, voice, instruments, etc.
  6. Tutoring is a highly sought after, and you can do it from your own home.
  7. Book keeping, payroll and accounting services .
  8. Many customer service type jobs will let you work from home on your own computer. Seek them out.
  9. Computer related jobs such as computer repair, updating, questions or technical service by phone.  There are programs that will let you get into someone else's computer to work on it or teach, from your own home.
  10. Medical records transcription and billing.
  11. Create your own business using your own talents and skill set and put it online.
  12. Jewelry making and selling.
  13. Drop shipping product sales.  Create your own website and sell products through drop shippers.
  14. Ebay sales, and KSL.com classifieds
  15. Child care/Baby sitting services in your home. 
  16. Writing - freelance for magazines, newspapers, or online
  17. Wedding/Party or events planner or caterer.
  18. Floral arranger, especially offering corsages during proms or special events.
  19. Musician - Write music to sell, play and perform at evening events. Record Cd's of your music to sell.
  20. Answering service operator, taking calls from offices.
  21. Office or meeting scheduler.
  22. Airline Reservations assistant.
  23. Desktop publishing service where you provide services for design, word processing, charts, business cards and stationary, etc.
  24. Photography - in home studio for portraits.
  25. Fundraising by making calls for organizations or events.
  26. Home based call center reps.  Bilingual operators are in high demand.
  27. Professional blogger.
  28. Customer Service or sales using your home computer and phone.
  29. At home Genealogy researcher.
  30. Editing service for writers. 
My youngest daughter recenly had a baby, and before leaving her job, her company offered her a stay at home position in order to keep her as a valued employee.  What a wonderful opportunity, and I bet that that if your services are valued enough and you are at a company who employs stay at home positions, you could apply or find out about them.

 If you are a stay at home mom, in need of generating a little extra income to subsidize what is already coming in, you can do any number of things and still be able to raise your own children, at home.  You would have the best of both worlds, but living in your child's world is your top priority. Remember the "THREE T'S" and see where your priorities are.








No comments:

Post a Comment